I’m not sure this is an entirely scientific game, which is why I’ve felt free to express no preference, or, on occasion, a fourth option.
1. Beatles, Stones or Beach Boys? Beatles, though less than I used to.
2. Kant, Hegel, Marx? Hegel, in a three-way photo-finish. (I enjoy lecturing on Hegel more than on Marx, though I’ll concede that Kant was, in fact, the Greatest Philosopher Ever.)
3. Cluedo, Monopoly, Scrabble? Scrabble
4. Paul Newman, Jack Nicholson, Robert Redford? Jack Nicholson, for Chinatown
5. Bach, Beethoven, Mozart? Beethoven, I think, though The Magic Flute is something special.
6. Australia, Canada, New Zealand? New Zealand (filial piety).
7. Groucho, Chico, Harpo? Harpo.
8. Morning, afternoon, evening? Evening.
9. Bridge, Canasta, Poker? Bridge.
10. Fargo, The Big Lebowski, O Brother, Where Art Thou? OBWAT. Didn’t think a great deal of Fargo, and haven’t seen TBL.
11. Hobbes, Locke, Rousseau? Rousseau, though Hobbes is, of course, fabulous.
12. Cricket, football, rugby? Cricket. Test Match Cricket.
13. Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, Emily Bronte? Whichever one of the B’s wrote Wuthering Heights.
14. Parker, Gillespie, Monk? No preference.
15. Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham? Arsenal, I think, because Thierry Henry is so much fun to watch when he’s on form.
16. Cheers, Friends, Seinfeld? Seinfeld (but only because I’ve seen an episode which I enjoyed, which is more than I can say for the other two)
17. Henry Fonda, Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart? Jimmy Stewart.
18. France, Germany, Italy? Italy.
19. Apple, orange, banana? Banana.
20. Statham, Tyson, Trueman? Too young, I’m afraid. Larwood.
21. Rio Bravo, El Dorado, Rio Lobo? Are these films?
22. Katharine Hepburn, Meryl Streep, Ingrid Bergman? No preference.
23. Chinese, Indian, Thai? Indian.
24. Handel, Scarlatti, Vivaldi? Handel.
25. Oasis, Radiohead, Blur? No preference.
26. Fawlty Towers, The Young Ones, Yes Minister? Yes, Minister.
27. Chekhov, Ibsen, Shaw? Ibsen.
28. American football, baseball, basketball? Baseball.
29. FDR, JFK, Bill Clinton? FDR.
30. Lenin, Luxemburg, Trotsky? Luxemburg.
31. Paris, Rome, New York? Rome.
32. Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Steinbeck? Raymond Chandler.
33. Blue, green, red? Red.
34. Guys and Dolls, My Fair Lady, West Side Story? Oklahoma!
35. J.S. Mill, John Rawls, Robert Nozick? John Rawls.
36. Armstrong, Ellington, Goodman? Goodman.
37. Ireland, Scotland, Wales (at rugby)? Wales.
38. The Sopranos, 24, Six Feet Under? No knowledge.
39. Friday, Saturday, Sunday? Saturday.
40. Hamlet, Macbeth, King Lear? Macbeth.
41. Fried, boiled, scrambled (eggs)? Fried.
42. Paths of Glory, Cross of Iron, Saving Private Ryan? N/A
43. England, Australia, West Indies (at cricket)? Not Australia. Otherwise, it depends. I’ve certainly cheered for the West Indies against England in my time.
44. Chabrol, Godard, Truffaut? N/A
45. Bringing It All Back Home, Blonde on Blonde, Blood on the Tracks? John Wesley Harding
46. Trains, planes, automobiles? Trains.
47. North By Northwest, Psycho, Vertigo? Vertigo.
48. Third, Fourth, Fifth (Beethoven Piano Concerto)? Third (Eroica Symphony).
49. Coffee, tea, chocolate? Coffee.
50. Cardiff, Edinburgh, Dublin? Dublin.