Yes, it’s the new game, to post choice lines from twenty randomly-selected songs on your preferred random-selection-of-songs generator. Me, I used the “party shuffle” feature on my regular playlist on iTunes (617 songs) to pick out a bunch, which the same “party shuffle” feature alleged were “up and coming”. Then I edited the list to remove (i) instrumental pieces and (ii) more than one track by the same artist. And this is what we were left with.
1. I’m your puppet. I love it.
2. Tomorrow was to be our wedding.
3. Laßt mich nicht ruh’n in der Schlummerstunde!
4. My horses ain’t hungry / They won’t eat your hay.
5. Sinatra was swinging, all the drunks they were singing.
6. To make ’em laugh was never your intention.
7. I read between the lines of words you can’t disguise.
8. How far are you going, he said, depends on what you mean.
9. Down in Alabama / They call me “The man of joy,” / Still do!
10. Where the scenery’s attractive / And the air is radioactive
11. It’s just talk, talk, talk, talk, till you lose your patience.
12 .Everything up to that point had been left unresolved.
13. Well my own dear father did me deny.
14. What can I say? Because I wanna be your boyfriend.
15. But I’ll stay quiet and then I’ll go / And you won’t have no cause to think about me.
16. A lot of people won’t get no justice tonight.
17. We’ve got to fulfill the book.
18. They take me home to a land / That my soul understands.
19. Mister, here’s a bag with all my money.
20. Two years and the silicosis takes hold.
I’m not sure this would be a very good party playlist. But a pint of beer in any case (or pale fizzy lager, Dan, if you’re reading this) for the first person who can identify them all. Some are easy. But not all.